Educating the Future of Education

Tomorrow’s Teachers class prepares students for leading the classroom
Posing for a picture with their Indiana University-Kokomo professor and facilitator, the Tomorrows Teachers have the chance to go on a variety of field trips.
Posing for a picture with their Indiana University-Kokomo professor and facilitator, the Tomorrow’s Teachers have the chance to go on a variety of field trips.
Courtesy of Grace Scott

Tomorrow’s Teachers is a program brought to LHS for students interested in the education field. Not only does this program allow students to earn college credits, but it also helps ensure that this is what a student wants to do before committing to college.

“Tomorrow’s Teachers is a program through IUK for juniors and seniors,” junior Emma Brown said. “You graduate with a total of 12 college credits in two years by taking this program. You are assigned to a different grade level to observe for three weeks total. You go to the classroom three days a week and have class one day with your professor. Then, on Fridays, you have office hours. Students are able to observe all different ages and grades. I have worked with kindergarten as well as eighth grade, and I can definitely tell what I like better. We do have some online work to do through Canvas, but nothing too much.”

The students have the chance to meet with various teachers and get a feel for different grade levels.

“I mostly want the students to observe, take in everything there is in a classroom,” fourth-grade teacher Tyler Gellinger said. “There is so much going on at all times, so I hope they get to see the organized and sometimes not-so-organized chaos going on. If the students feel comfortable, I may have them read a passage to a student or work with a small group depending on what’s needed.”

The students have the chance to interact in a variety of different ways. This helps the students find out what they like and dislike about the different classes.

“This class has opened my eyes to what it is like to be a teacher working with kids in this world today,” Brown said. “I have also found what grades fit me best and what I feel would be good for me to teach in the future. I highly recommend taking this class to experience and get a feel for the classroom and school setting.”

The participating teachers help the students learn about their different classrooms and let the students observe their teaching styles.

“I try to teach them that getting to know the students in the classroom and establishing a positive rapport is important with them is the best thing they can do in their classroom, ” Gellinger said. “When you have a positive rapport with the students, classroom management becomes easier. Student commitment becomes better. The culture of the classroom changes immensely. Learning that establishing good relationships is essential is the one thing I hope they take away from their time in my classroom.”

Stopping for lunch on their field trip to IUK, the students talk about the trip and how their student teaching has been. (Courtesy of Grace Scott)

The students are not only earning college credits but are also getting real college experience. The students meet with a college professor over Zoom once a week as well as take field trips over to the Indiana University-Kokomo campus.

“The students have a professor that they meet with once a week,” facilitator of Tomorrow’s Teachers Grace Scott said. “I help make sure that the students get to all their placements throughout the school corporations and take them on all their field trips to IUK.”

This program has helped students figure out what they want to do after high school.

“It has helped me figure out where in the schools I want to work,” junior Jerkia Razer said. “I want to work in special education. Having a better understanding of what a classroom will be like in the teacher aspect.”