Sleeping Habits of LHS

Estefany Barradas-Majano

Sophomore Jasmine Zimmerman demonstrates one of many sleeping positions.

When sleeping, it can be a little different for everybody, whether that is sleeping on their side, back, or stomach. LHS students and staff prefer to sleep from night to morning in a variety of ways while awaiting the upcoming school day.

Sophomore Jasmine Zimmerman shows how to sleep on your side. (Estefany Barradas-Majano)

“When I’m scrunched up, it makes me uncomfortable, and when I wake up sometimes parts of my body fall asleep, and that feels weird. I like to stretch out to prevent that feeling when I sleep,” sophomore Trajan Skinner said.

A good night’s sleep is important for multiple reasons, such as being ready for the oncoming day. However, a good night’s sleep requires multiple things, such as what time someone goes to bed, what position they sleep in, and even the temperature of their room.

“When I sleep, I am normally on my stomach or sides. I sleep there because I don’t feel stiff, and it helps me feel loose and open,” freshman Noah Anderson said.

The time a person goes to sleep is one of the most important parts of having a good night’s rest. According to the National Sleep Foundation, it is recommended that everybody gets eight or more hours of sleep a night in order to perform at their best.

Freshman Jennifer Anaya demonstrates the fetal position. (Gretchen Prifogle)

“Typically I fall asleep around 12:00-1:00 AM. I don’t really have a reason. That’s just when I kind of get tired and when I am able to fall asleep. My schedule is very fluctuant. Sometimes I will go to bed, and I will fall asleep, but sometimes I just can’t fall asleep until three in the morning,” Skinner said.

The amount a person sleeps is very vital to their work and liveliness the next day. It plays a role in their physical and mental health throughout the day.

“If I feel like sleeping for eight hours, then I will, but if I get less than that, then I normally have to get through the rest of the day either tired, frustrated, or just bored,” Anderson said.

These are conditions that are felt by many students at LHS, yet they still come into school in order to learn and get ahead in life. This can cause different emotions for the students and staff who have to deal with them the rest of the day.

“On the weekends, I get the recommended eight hours, but on school days, I never do. It is at least 30 minutes behind. I usually get around six hours of sleep. I feel affected by this in the first period when it makes me tired, but after that, I feel awake and like my normal self,” Skinner said.

Sophomore Jasmine Zimmerman sleeping peacefully. (Estefany Barradas-Majano)

Teachers are affected by their students’ lack of sleep as well. If a student has not gotten enough sleep, then chances are a teacher can probably tell. This can make the class more difficult for the teacher and the students when it comes to focusing.

“If I notice they’re dozing off or losing attention three or four times in a lesson, I assume they didn’t get enough sleep, especially if that kid isn’t usually like that,” English teacher Nathaniel Hedrick said.

However, students are not the only ones who have to deal with a lack of sleep. A teacher who doesn’t get enough sleep can be less energetic, less motivated, and even sometimes make their sleeplessness obvious to their students.

Freshman Jennifer Anaya sleeping on her back. (Gretchen Prifogle)

“I’m old, so I pass out every night around eleven. My alarm goes off at six, so I get a pretty consistent seven hours a night. Less than seven hours makes my attention span shorter, so I notice that I don’t get as much work done as I would have,” Hedrick said.

As sleeping positions affect students and younger children, they also have a big impact on adults. A lack of sleep is normally caused by rolling around at night, not getting to bed on time, or just sleeping in an odd, uncomfortable position.

“I have no earthly idea what position I sleep in because I am usually unconscious when I sleep. I’ve been told I flop around like a fish all night and usually wake up on my side,” Hedrick said.