Talkin’ With The Track Team

Through+rain+and+shine%2C+track+athletes+continue+to+run.+

Jakson Combs

Through rain and shine, track athletes continue to run.

Libby Dexter

Dexter’s determination has pushed her very hard this season. (Jakson Combs)

Besides being an aspiring artist and an A honor roll student, sophomore Libby Dexter has been in track both years she has been at the high school. As described by a fellow freshman and track teammate, Claire Bundy, Dexter has advanced quite a lot this season, pushing daily toward her goals. 

How many years have you been in track?

I have been in track for two years. I’m in distance, the events that I am in are mainly the 1,600 (one mile) dash and sometimes the 3200 (two miles) or 800 (half mile) dash. 

How has being a part of the track team impacted your life? 

It has impacted my life positively by meeting new people and learning life skills such as time management and communication.

What is your favorite part of track?

My favorite part of track are the meets. You get to spend time with your teammates, who become your close friends right away, and cheer them on in their races. You also get to meet runners from different schools. 

Lanee Huff 

Huff’s personal record for high jump is 5’2”. (Jakson Combs)

When she is not spending time with friends and family, junior Lanee Huff has spent hours practicing for the next track meet. During the past three years of Huff’s track career, she has experienced not only great memories from the sport but has also grown as a person. 

How many years have you been in track? 

I have been a part of the Logansport track team since my freshman year. All three years in track I have done high jump and long jump, along with relays and sprint events. 

Being a part of the track team has impacted my life a lot. I have an amazing coach who has taught me so much, not only about the sport but about life outside of school. I have also made so many new friends from LHS and other schools during meets, and the sport has really helped me come out of my comfort zone. 

What is your favorite part of track?

My favorite part of track is the friendships that I have made and the memories we all have together from the late-night meets, practices, etc. 

Tate Strong

Strong’s times have decreased as the season goes on. (Jakson Combs)

Although this is sophomore Tate Strong’s first year being a part of the track team, he has made many friendships and created many memories that he will cherish for years. When he is not at track practices or track meets, he is either playing video games or spending time with friends. 

How many years have you been in track?

This is my first year of track and I run the 4×800 relay and the 1,600-meter dash. I am also in the long jump. 

Track has given me the chance to get to know new people and make new friends. I really like that I can test myself during track meets as well. 

What is your favorite part of track?

My favorite part of track are the meets. I like the competitive side and I like talking to new people.